[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 04/06/2003

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Thu Jun 5 11:28:10 EST 2003

> I think that really is the spirit
> of the TIB
> in that it is a good price for a bulk order, at least
> partially because
> you all save on p&h.

Here, here!

Over my fairly lengthy time with Melbourne wireless and my initial
implementation of TIB (which was supposed to be only the first step in an
evolutionary system, but has been rather static - entirely my fault), I have
seen things come and go and offers appear and disappear with varying degrees
of success.

I'd like to take a moment to thank people like Rob Clark, Jamie Moir, Julian
F, Simon P and Vaskos who really got things together and have been key in
making cheap wireless hardware available to the masses (apologies to all
those other people who did equally well, but whome I have missed due to my
own memory deficiencies).

I know I wouldn't have anywhere near as much wireless hardware (and probably
a damn sight less money!) if it hadn't been for people like this bothering
to organise these sorts of deals.

-- Warning: Email subject digression ahed ;) --

On that note, I know that TIB is in DESPERATE need of some enhancements (the
highest of which springs to mind is that of moderation/rating system of some
type) and, to be completely honest, should probably be written from the
ground up to be a bit more flexible/extensible.

It was a bit of a rush job to be honest - I originally wanted to buy a
PCMCIA wireless card, and didn't want to pay $300 for it (aah, those where
the days), which is why I wrote the thing (selfishness will get you
everywhere ;), and it's ended up being a core component of melbwireless, and
the wireless communities' ability to scale.

Either way, I'm opening the gates, and am (as many people have recommended)
seriously thinking of registering a sourceforge project for a generic bulk
buy/"special discount" that suits all of our needs (along with possibly some
other peoples).

Expressions of interest from PHP monkies are open. The idle plan is PHP with
Pear::DB (for abstraction) in OO PHP (I've gone of procedural for scalable
stuff ;). Also after designers for the front end. Personally, I would like
to oversee/do general architectural stuff than do a HEAP of code (very
un-me) as I'm ludicrously short of time at the moment. I see this as a
potential way to move things ahead without me slowing them down.

	Fenn.