[MLB-WIRELESS] I stumbled GHO! :)

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:20:02 EST 2003

Hi Al,

I'm happy to report that I stumbled Node GHO yesterday. I stood on my roof
with my lappy and my Hills 25dB grid parabolic.  My house is Node GMR on
Locfinder, which is in Murrumbeena.  According to Locfinder it's a 32km hop
from my place to GHO.

My Netstumbler readings are pretty constant, I even managed a constant
reading for about 30 seconds. :)  I didn't try to connect though, as it's
rather difficult to operate a lappy whilst holding a 25dB parabolic and
ensuring one doesn't fall of the roof.

Anyway, the details of my setup are as follows:

OS: Win XP Pro

Card: Cabletron from Vak (had Orinoco firmware v8.72 "semi flashed" in it)

Antenna: Hills 25dB Grid parabolic hand-held in horizontal polarization

Cable: 2m tensolite pigtail - MC - Male N > antenna
   also 10cm tensolite pigtail > 10m LMR 400 > antenna.  There was no
noticeable difference in the SNR between the two cable setups.

My Netstubler readings are as follows: Signal+ -82 / Noise- -101 / SNR+ 18

BTW I am currently testing my SVEC AP in it's waterproof box in the
backyard.  It works in Wireless Bridge "point to multipoint" mode quite
well.  I'll have it on my roof with an 8dB omni shortly.  I'm going to make
a couple more waterproof boxes and hook them up to the two 25dB parabolas I
have... hopefully I'll be able to get a link with GHO with one of them.

Cheers,

Dan