[MLB-WIRELESS] windows 95 and orinico cards

Robert Davidson puttputt at iaccess.ws
Wed Jul 30 22:45:59 EST 2003

Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:
> These cards won't bridge at all under any OS.
> Orinoco, Enterasys, Agere, etc all the same card.
>
> I suspect is something to do with the something-or-other layer in networking
> terms that I don't know :-\
> But whatever it is, the definetly can't be bridged.
>
> I believe Prism chipset based cards can be bridged.  Although I have only
> tested this under Linux.

I've managed to "bridge" a Enterasys card (Vak special) with a wired
network on Win95 or Win98.  I had to use a 3rd party program to do it,
but it did a just "OK" job.  The only problem with it was that under
Windows on my P90 laptop, the laptop became unusable whenever any
reasonable amount of traffic was going between the wired and wireless
networks.  The Enterasys card was acting as an AP also.

If you's want the name of the program I believe it was EtherBridge but
I'm not sure.  It was free and command-line based.  I have it on a
laptop hard drive image so if need be I can fish it out and put it
online.  The program wasn't easy to find at the time.

So.. it can be done.  But on a 486 (which is original sender specified
in his e-mail from memory) it would be a lost cause.

--
Regards,
Robert Davidson.