[MLB-WIRELESS] Netgear MR314 - external antenna issue

Rob Clark clark at FreeNet-Antennas.com
Sun Jul 27 11:46:56 EST 2003

Damian,

Based on my experience, you will do much better in ALL respects to buy
an SVEC AP (and put it into client mode), than buy a WET11.

The SVEC is better on the Cost, Reliability, and Functionality fronts.

Cheers

Rob Clark

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
[mailto:owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au] On Behalf Of Damian Burkitt
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 9:19 PM
To: melbwireless at wireless.org.au
Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] Netgear MR314 - external antenna issue

A buddy and I decided to join our networks, we only live 500 metres
apart with a good LoS from our rooftops - simple enuff, right?

We've both got Netgear MA314 Wireless routers for our internal network
and MA311 PCI network cards for PC's & MA401 PC cards for our laptops in
our respective networks (running Win2K)

I've got my network working fine using the MR314 router to connect my
wireless PC(MA311), laptop with a netgear MA401s and my cabled NICs fine
- the router connects to a PC running Mandrake 9.1 which acts as a file
server & firewall which then connects to the Bigpond router.

My buddies network is a smaller ie a Pc (MA311) & Laptop (MA401) and his
MR314 Wireless Router.

The only problem we can see is that the MR314's antenna is hardwired to
the unit - I checked around a few sites to find out if anyone else had
tried to remove or change the antenna on the MR314 with out any luck.

Any idea's how to remove and replace it? or can anyone suggest a better
wireless router/access point set up?

We've been thru the "how tos" for pigtails and antennas etc we just need
to know the best way to connect the 2 networks short of possibly frying
the MR314's.