[MLB-WIRELESS] Enterasys PCMCIA and AP and Firmware

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Fri Jul 18 12:30:09 EST 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> I've got a pair of Roamabout AP's that each hold an Enterasys PCMCIA
> card.  I've trying to update the firmware on the Enterasys cards
> which the Roamabout AP tool reports to me are only "HW=V4.00,
> Primary FW=V4.04".

This is fairly old firmware.

> When I put them in an XP machine to try and flash them the flash
> tool then reports them as having firmware 8.10.  I can flash them
> with 6.06, but after about 30 seconds, it again reports 8.10.  Can
> anyone tell me if the Enterasys XP driver actually loads a RAM
> firmware onto the card when it's inserted?  This is the only
> explaination I can come up with.

The driver hold a version of the firmware, which it softloads into the
card while the driver is running. In order to run earlier firmware, you
have to go to an earlier driver version. The Driver readme's can give
you more information on this.

> I'm actually trying to flash the cards with Karlnet firmware 6.08 to
> see if I can get some better performance out of these two AP's when
> in bridge mode.

I'd try flashing it using an older version of the driver.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----