[MLB-WIRELESS] Fog effects wireless links? - Urban Myth

Craig Mead craig at australianwireless.org
Thu Jul 10 09:50:39 EST 2003

G'day all,

Been a bit of discussion lately on a few of the lists about if fog/rain will
effect a 2.4GHz link.

Set up a 4.5km link on the weekend to my AP and to start the link is barely
LOS, theres definitely not much fresnel zone on it either, however the link
is still good for 240kB/sec with the laptop plugged direct into the antenna,
and about 150kB/sec plugged into the DWL-900AP+ in client mode (must be
lower RX sens.)

This morning the area was slightly fogged in as well
http://www.australianwireless.org/images/fog.jpg
This is an image out of the front of the house pointing in the direction of
the client node. As you will notice you can't see past the houses accross
the road, let alone 4.5k's away. Yet, the link was still good for the same
thruput as it is on a perfectly clear day.

So for those that think that fog is the be all and end all of a 2.4Ghz link,
this is proof that it is not always the case. (I am not saying it will not
effect some links, however in my personal experiences it has not effected it
with the links which I currently have established).

Regards, Craig Mead
Vice President
Australian Wireless Association