[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Syd-Wireless] Fwd: Wi-Fi Project

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Tue Jul 8 15:14:26 EST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Duane wrote:

> Ummmm not really sure what to do with this request, so I thought I'd
> forward it to the mailing list and see what others thought about the
> subject... I've CC'd the author on this email, and I replies need to
> be CC'd to him as well...
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Duane                            mailto:support at sydneywireless.com
>
> ===8<==============Original message text===============
> Greetings-
>

> My name is Steven Davenport. I am writing from Columbus, Oh.  I'm
> doing research for an upcoming documentary on "Wireless Fidelity."

Welcome.

I'd be interested in hearing more of what you're planning.

The Australian Wireless Association (http://www.australianwireless.org/)
is currently planning a project to go to Ghana in West Africa to
wirelessly network the Western University College in Tarkwa, and parts
of the local community including Satellite Internet access. We also plan
to make a documentory of the trip.

Out of the projects that the association is currently assisting with in
Australia, the Bathurst Wireless community wireless networking group is
planning to put antennae up on the famous Mt Panarama near the
racing/road track where the Bathurst 1000 and bathurst 24 hour motor
races are heald each year. The plan is to cover the town of Bathurst and
parts of the circuit.

The association has also undertaken talks with interested groups in
regional New South Wales, a state on the eastern seaboard of Australia,
and we also support and co-operate with other groups around the country.

One of the first wireless projects to get alot of links up and running
in Australia (aside from some early tests in Canberra, Adelaide, and
Melbourne), is the WA Freenet (http://www.wafreenet.org/)

Probably one of the most successful community based installs I know of
so far here in Australia, is Node GHO in Melbourne, setup by Melbourne
Wireless (http://melbourne.wireless.org.au). The node has been setup on
Mt Dandenong, the tallest Mountain on the edge of Melbourne. Node GHO
has been detected across Melbourne at around 50 Km's or more.

> I am particularly interested in famous or obscure hot spots in
> Australia. Due to the timing and logistics of our project, I would
> like to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

I hope the above summary gives you something to work with. The
association is planning on interlinking several community wireless
nodes around Sydney to create a community wireless backbone, but that is
still in planning.

> Thank you for your consideration.

Am glad to help. If you require any additional information, feel free to
contact me.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----