[MLB-WIRELESS] applied telysyn "at-mc16"

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Wed Jan 29 17:45:58 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kym Michael wrote:

> There is a box of applied telysyn "at-mc16" and similar converters at an
> auction tomorrow.
>
> Is this a good thing to buy to get around 100m cat5 limits. Should I buy
> them?... how much?.
>
> Detail: from
> http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/webmaster3/files/allied/Website/ProductSupportDocs/Document/at10724c.pdf

Oatley Electronics were selling these - or similar units - a while back
for about $70 each, from memory. I was toying with the idea of hanging a
fibre optic cable over the neighbour's fence. :)

I'd guess that you would run into similar propagation delay and collision
issues as you would with long wired cable, but if you run it through a
switch port (or dedicated cards at each end) then that should work...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia
www.camrecord.com  www.camdiscover.com  www.heyasl.com  www.sensationbot.com