[MLB-WIRELESS] OMG! Yet another PowerOver Ethernet!

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Jan 29 14:40:12 EST 2003

Ooh, very nice indeed. I too made one of these a couple of weekends ago,
though mine was much cruder and nastier.

For those of you who get scared by anything more than wires and solder,
I found that you can make these without the 5v regulator and just use
the standard power supply that comes with the DLink 900ap, providing you
only use reasonable lengths of cable.

I think I have about 20m of cable on mine at the moment and it seems
fine (I'm not sure it's 20m, that's just an estimate). The principle
behind my design is that I was lazy, and I only wanted to be able to get
to a powerpoint (not necessarily my PC), and just run standard
non-powered cat5 from there.

You can see assembled pics of mine here:

http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/~fenn/files/900ap-inabox2.jpg
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/~fenn/files/900ap-inabox3.jpg

However, it's nowhere near as nice as Jason's. I can take photos of the
inside (I didn't have the camera handy at the time of assembly) and come
up with some instructions, but I would recommend people go for Jason's
style one (which Vaskos spoke to me about) as it is a generally better
design.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to build in some sort of variable
regulator, so you could adjust the power on the far end for different
brands of AP?

	Fenn.

http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/poe/

Thanks