[MLB-WIRELESS] Routing / Zebra / OSPF / IP Allocations - Question

Justin littlejuz at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 27 16:34:21 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin [mailto:littlejuz at optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 27 January 2003 4:18 PM
To: Ryan Abbenhuys; melbwireless at wireless.org.au
Subject: RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Routing / Zebra / OSPF / IP Allocations -
Question

Hi Ryan,

 What you have is called a host route. Buggered if I know what you do with
it in terms of how Melb wireless is supposed to be configured for routing,
but I thought that it was something that you assigned to a router core.

 (meaning the router 'guts' not any of its interfaces. This is handy as you
don't have to worry about knowing which interfaces are up or down if you
want to connect to the router. example, if a link goes down and you need to
connect to the router to find out what's going on, it is not much help if
you assign the DNS name of the router to one of it's interfaces, as itmay be
to one that has gone down. So you assign an IP to the router itself, not
related to any interface in any way, and you connect to it using whatever
route or interface is up at the time. )

 But I could be wrong..... ;)

Regards,
Gaz.