ibss vs bss was: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has beenadded to TIB -23/01/2003

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 25 17:23:50 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 19:33, James Healy wrote:
> > The PointToPoint link was great. It explained heaps. It
> > explains that to
> > do it properly you need an ad-hoc mesh, but then use BSS to provide
> > access to dumb roaming clients.
>
> iirc, that page stresses the need to have a network of p2p links for
> reasons outlined in my previous email (it suggests that they be IBSS,
> but it would probably be easier - for reasons you have already
> specified - to make them AP's in bridging mode), and BSS to provide
> access to dumb roaming clients.

It does suggest p2p links using IBSS. AFAIK bridging modes don't
necessarily work between different brands of AP. I don't see what the
benefits of bridging modes are over IBSS, except that you can use AP's
to do it.

If people are planning to use bridging mode AP's to build a mesh, and if
different AP's don't necessarily work together, then shouldn't
melb-wireless be recommending particular brands that are known to work
together?

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key