ibss vs bss was: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB -23/01/2003

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Fri Jan 24 18:56:21 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 17:40, Drew wrote:
[...]
> Yep. The problem here, is that AP to AP connectivity isn't in the
> 802.11b spec. So trying to create a city wide mesh of a mismash of
> proprietary protocols would be a nightmare. The obvious solution is
> everyone using IBSS (adhoc) mode. Problem there is it's hard to get on
> the roof unless you run a lot of cable. There are some solutions, like
> soekris boards, mini itx boards, linksys wet11's, buffalo ethernet
> converters... all these will do IBSS and are compact enough to put up a
> pole...

soekris and itx I've seen, and neither are a cheap solution compared to
a $125 AP. The wet11 and ethernet converters I've not seen, but I
suspect they are not cheap either. If they are, where can I get one?

> More info at: http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/RoofTopAdHoc
> and for thorough reasoning of why to use IBSS:
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/PointToPoint

The PointToPoint link was great. It explained heaps. It explains that to
do it properly you need an ad-hoc mesh, but then use BSS to provide
access to dumb roaming clients.

What I really want is an AP that can do BSS, BSS-client, _and_ IBSS. As
soon as that comes out I'll be getting one.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key