Stealth access points (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Approaching parties)

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 23 12:28:16 EST 2003

Reduce power dissipation by custom building all the electronics
(CPU, WiFi, ...) into a single Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA),
probably with an external flash chip and maybe some SRAM.  Radios
would also be external.  Use power control to minimise radiated power.
This is not an access point as we know it Jim.  (I did say this is
a dream!).  Power requirements would be reduced to the point where
the thing could be powered from a solar charged battery.  Also
power could be scavenged from the environment, especially if
mounted on or near high voltage transmission line towers.

Best wishes
John