[MLB-WIRELESS] Converting Building owners

TSwireless wireless at toysatellite.org
Wed Jan 22 15:34:18 EST 2003

Hello Joris,

J> Has anyone practical experience on how to convert building owners to the
J> wireless side? (with obvious goals of allowing rooftop wifi)

With our original setup we had to go through the Body Corporate. We
had to request permission to gain access to the roof via tenant whose
property had access to the roof. Not only did we need their
permission, we needed the permission of every tenant whose roof we had
to cross to get to ours.

This was mainly for insurance purposes, but also common courtesy.

It took nearly 8 months of letters, meetings, but we finally got it
through.

Last weekend I removed the antenna from the Queens Pde location as it
will be relocated shortly on Gore Street, Fitzroy. This time, we have
a both a reasonably high building ourselves and an even taller gum
tree out back.

A tree surgeon friend, who once worked as a communications rigger in
the Army, has offered to rig the antenna to the tree which will give
us excellent clearance to gain line of site to the proposed antenna on
the near corner of Johnston and Brunswick Streets.

J> Any persuasive arguments? (free email, free internet?) Any pitfalls to
J> avoid? Special techniques?

We had initially offered every tenant in our previous building with
wireless access to our system, but this was seen as too complex, too
detailed. It was easier to convince people on the Body Corporate that
we were participating in a research project and all they had to do was
provide the permission we needed and we would negotiate an appropriate
time for the installation to take place.

-ag.

TS Wireless - Fitzroy                       wireless at toysatellite.org
Toy Satellite                   http://www.toysatellite.org/wireless/
This email is solely for the named addressee and may be confidential.