[MLB-WIRELESS] Approaching parties (was: Converting Building owners)

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Jan 22 10:54:03 EST 2003

The other options I have thought about are other community based
entities, eg:
 - Community centers
 - Secondary Schools (let the kids share their homework!)
 - Libraries
 - Local council offices/town halls

A lot of councils are looking for ways to improve their locale without
spending any money. The only cost incurred directly for them would be
the couple of dollars/month in electricity bills which is nothing. It's
a lot cheaper than running local entertainment or events, and keeps the
kids off the streets (the geeky ones anyway) and out of trouble.. well..
now that I think about it, maybe not so much of a community issue, but
you get the idea.

This however, I think, should be handled in some sort of 'official'
melbourne wireless capacity. You could get it passed by a local council,
get the local newspaper to cover it: The council looks good (cos they're
doing something for the community), Melbourne Wireless get's publicity -
everyone wins :)

Also, with libraries - A company I used to work for (Access One via
OzEmail) used to have a deal where they colocated their regional PoPs
with libraries in exchange for free internet access on site. It's not
something we can offer, but the principle is interesting, and shows that
they are open to negotiation.

I would more than happily donate hardware to this sort of venture - the
ability to get a major AP on a town hall spire would be ideal (though
sadly not in my area for me).

Either way, food for thought.

	Fenn.