[MLB-WIRELESS] Smart Amps??

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Jan 22 07:57:36 EST 2003

> To get around the signal loss of using LMR-Cable down to your
> AP or linux box, has anyone purchased an amp or smart amp?
> Someone was telling me you could put a smart amp in a box say
> on your antenna mast, run cable from the smart amp down to
> your AP, say in your roof/room, and the smart amp will still
> pump out 1 watt of power no matter what the signal loss is.
> Going price around $1000-$1500.  Can anyone confirm this, or
> had any experience with any kinds of amps with wireless devices.

No "Amps are evil" rant this time, just a little economics, as the basic
scenario is one where an amplifier could be quite useful.

In theory, this should work, and it is theoretically possible to have an amp
with some sort of AGC to keep the power at an optimal level for a range on
input levels.  However, at that price, I'd consider it as a last resort,
unless you've got money to burn.  Going for a higher grade of feedline, or
mounting an AP at the antenna would be much more economical.

The idea is sound (afterall, that's how many ham weak signal stations are
setup, especially the receive side), but at a cost...  Ham microwave
stations tend to put the transceiver at the antenna, like many are with
their APs, for similar cost/performance reasons.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses