[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11g Starts Answering WLAN Range Questions

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 16 16:20:01 EST 2003

yes, well.... that is a good question.

I guess from everything I have read, 54 is a theoretical upper limit, just as
5.6.6kbps is on asymetrical modems on POST.  the equipment is capable of that
speed, but the conditions need to be fairly spot on.

I imagine that in a noise free area such as out of town, over about a few
meters (far enough that the antennas don't couple) that fairly high
bandwidths are available....

ofcourse I could be completely wrong :-)

I have a question of my own now.

Is my understanding (below) correct?

consider the following situation.

there are 3 APs, ap1, ap2 and ap3

ap2 and ap3 are connected by a LAN and traffic is bridged between them.
ap1 and ap2 are local (reachable) but ap 3 is remote.

there are 2 users, u1 and u2.
u1 can only see ap1 and ap2
u2 can only see ap3

u1 (me) is running an apache server.

Q.
u2 is associated with ap3.
can u2 see the webpage on u1?  does it depend on the following;
	If u1 is running BSS and associated with ap2?
	If u1 is running BSS and associated with ap1 (which ios acting as a bridge to
ap2)
	if u1 is running IBSS.

as you can see from above, I am having a bit of trouble understanding the
limits on connectivity between BSS and IBSS machines.  can an IBSS machine
talk to a BSS AP or only other IBSS machines?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:15 pm, Tristan Gulyas wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> > for .11g: Intersil 802.11g reference design
>
> So how come it only appears to operate at 22Mbit/sec?
>
> Is .11g 22 or 54?  Apple are claiming that their AirPort Extreme device is
> 802.11g compatible with a top speed of 54Mbit/sec.
>
> .t

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?