[MLB-WIRELESS] Slashdotted weather balloon experiment

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Thu Jan 16 12:28:33 EST 2003

<snip>
> http://speed.vpizza.org/~jmeehan/balloon/
>
> Any of you two-legged freaks out there getting any ideas?
<snip>

That's cool :)

It reminds me of an amateur radio 'balloon hunt' I heard about years and
years ago - basically a free floating balloon with a beacon many ham
geeks would try to track to its final destination (the person who found
it first won something)..

With seemingly a lot of debate about using balloons for wifi lately, is
anyone here willing to band together to build a free floating balloon
like this, perhaps with an 802.11 link as a secondary payload to
experiment with? (psst, PBCC or OFDM would help the distance issue)

If MW pushed the limits of a 4-watt 802.11-based link, it could be good
PR (in geek circles, naturally).. Have any other CWN's attempted
something like this?

 - Simon

P.S.
  IMHO, The Swedish cheated! :)