[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: City loop coverage (WAS: World's Longest Wi-Fi Connection Made by The Swedish Space Corporation)

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Wed Jan 15 14:44:36 EST 2003

> > > Nah, someone already tried that.  they leak... Oh, sorry,
> > > wrong type of tunnel
> > > ;-)
> >
> > Speaking of those sorts of tunnels, it'd be cool to have 802.11
> > connectivity in the city loop :) What's leaky-coax (radiax
> etc) like
> > at 2.4GHz, apart from being expensive? :)
> >
> > Okay, now I'm just getting ahead of myself.. :)
>
> If you talking about the Railway line, I have had a chat to
> the Rail Infrastructure Corporation about doing it in Sydney
> .. unless we have a few hundred people who want to sell some
> body parts to raise the money, it's just not going to happen.

Hmm, that's what I suspected.. Especially considering the public
transport mess here in Melbourne, they'd be after money anyway they
could get it :) It would be nice if there was a nice radiax line to plug
into...

> Mind you, given time and oppurtunity, you never know what
> could happen.

Well really, it was just a pipe dream (yes yes, har har.. sorry..) - if
MW ever gained large popularity and the roaming/mobility side of things
took off to a large extent then such a plan wouldn't sounds so silly :)

 - Simon