[MLB-WIRELESS] D-Link DWL 900+ Firmware

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon Jan 13 12:30:23 EST 2003

| ps: one thing that really annoys me about the firmware upgrade is the
| fact that it completely resets the dlink's configuration.  everything is
| reset to default, including IP address.  this is broken, and can lead to
| an unreachable dlink AP if, e.g., you have the dlink on a non-default IP
| address (say 10.10.48.114) and you are unable to change/add IP addresses
| to the router that the AP is connected to.
|
| the same thing happened when i upgraded to 2.3 a while back.

uuummm, what firmware doesn't reset to default config? All of the AP's Ive
used (Dlink, Cisco, Senao) all do this....it's part of the process as far as
I knew. If you want, export the settings, then upgrade and re-import. Might
not get you around the IP issue cause you'll need to be able to connect to
it before you can send. There is the DLink application on the CD/Website tho
that allows you to connect to ANY Dlink AP on the wired network without it
being on the same subnet and then allows you to change a fair few of the
settings (eg: IP) one thing I always forget tho is the fact you can't
upgrade firmware when they're on diff. subnets...a warning would be useful
on that one.

| another serious flaw with the dlink AP is the extensive use of
| javascript for submit buttons etc. this make it impossible to configure
| with a text-mode browser like lynx.  bad idea.  stupid, in fact.  what's
| wrong with standard buttons?
|
| i had to install mozilla and a bunch of X & gnome stuff on my firewall
| so i could run a javascript-enabled browser in an ssh session (with X
| forwarding) just to reconfigure my AP.  that should not have been
| necessary.

.....i thought u *nix users were all about a challenge!!!!