[MLB-WIRELESS] d-link 54mbit .G stuff?

Joris joris at linux.be
Sun Jan 12 21:03:41 EST 2003

Greetings, nerds.

I'm considering purchasing a
put-on-a-pole-and-connect-a-lot-of-802.11b-slowly-migrating-to-802.11g-to-it AP.

http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl2000ap/ has the product specs
of dlinks 54mbit ap. No word on free updates if the G-draft they used
doesn't end up compatible (like that other manufacturer did), but it has
"15 dBm (32 mW) ± 2dB", wich is twice the power of the 900+ ap.

According to the specs-pdf:
54Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-68dBm
48Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-68dBm
36Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-75dBm
24Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-79dBm
18Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-82dBm
12Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-84dBm
11Mbit  CCK, 8%  PER,-82dBm
9 Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-87dBm
6 Mbit OFDM, 10% PER,-88dBm
5.5Mbit CCK, 8% PER,-85dBm
2 Mbit QPSK, 8% PER,-86dBm
1 Mbit BPSK, 8% PER,-89dBm

Not incredible, compared to some more expensive stuff, but that's the
point... They seem to be down to ~130USD (ok, US-only of course, but
that's fixable).

And also very nice:
"The DWL-2000AP can be configured to perform in any one of four modes .
as a wireless access point, as a point-to-point bridge with another
access point, as a point-to-multi-point wireless bridge, or as a
wireless client."
-> this makes me think they plan to do the same as
they did/do with the 900+ AP: well developped high-quality firmware,
something that's not always granted..

Am I blinded by the 54 number, or does this all sound very very
attractive?

--
  Greetings
  Joris