[MLB-WIRELESS] alphalink wireless

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Sat Jan 11 12:18:27 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:31:08AM +1100, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > up on a windows or mac or that sorta system, but that doesnt
> > mean you cant
> > move the connection to where you want.
>
> Oh, I left my Optus connection right where they installed it..  I just dual
> booted the machine into Linux as soon as the tech left. :-)

When I got iPrimus ADSL installed 2 years ago (when they had unlimited
plans), they claimed to support Linux, though as it turned out they had
subcontracted Telstra to do the installs.  The Telstra tech obviously
wasn't trained to use Linux, though I had everything ready to go.  I
ended up practically doing the install all by myself anyway.  We ended
up with three Telstra techs in the house, although apparently they
didn't care because it was one of the first installs with iPrimus
subcontracting Telstra.  It didn't work in the end and I got a PAP
authentication error.  Turns out Telstra hadn't finished setting their
network up.  We had a lot of problems with Telstra outages though I
don't know that it was any worse than our previous dialup service
anyway.

Then for optus cable, I got them to install it in my cupboard, although
I did give them a winME laptop to keep them happy.  They knew that I had
a server in there and they didn't care.  Must say it never goes down.
Though I hate the 3gig cap that's now in place!

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia