[MLB-WIRELESS] You guys know much about this stuff from DLINK - D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Thu Jan 9 14:49:51 EST 2003

<snip>
> can't see that 802.11g makes much difference to us, anyway.
> we're not going to get anywhere near that kind of speed over
> any reasonable distance (i.e. >= 0.5Km).  1 or maybe 2Mbps is
> probably as good as anyone's going to get.
<snip>

True to a certain extent.. For now, it seems the chips coming out are
designed simply to *do* 802.11g - nobody seems to be interested in doing
it well. Probably because 802.11g hasn't been ratified yet (fair enough,
I think). All the Broadcom AirForce 54g based devices (Linksys, Hewlett
Packard, Fujitsu, AMD, etc etc) seem to have average sensitivity, btw.

But don't forget OFDM can push signals further because it can cope with
noise and weak signals far better than CCK.. OFDM can push signals up to
20% further than CCK at the same rates.. Texas Instruments' PBCC
theoretically can push the signal even further than OFDM (another 15%)
at the same data rate, but I'm doubtful anyone will use it (it's an
optional component of 802.11g).

Since 802.11g defines 54Mbps, 48Mbps, 36Mbps, 24Mbps, 18Mbps, 12Mbps,
9Mbps and 6Mbps, all using OFDM, people may be able to use it to gain
further distances than they can with 802.11b. That's an advantage, IMHO,
even if they can only get the same (or slightly better) throughput.

 - Simon