[MLB-WIRELESS] Dlink 900AP as client?

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Jan 8 16:43:36 EST 2003

Actually, this raises an interesting question....

how quickly does an AP switch between modes?

Does the packet know how it is meant to behave (at the wireless frame level?)

Is it (theoretically) possible to have an AP acting as an AdHoc (IBBS) device
for some traffic and an AP (BBS) for other traffic? At the same time or
serially???

Same question for channel selection...

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 03:56 pm, Drew wrote:
> client mode and adhoc mode aren't the same thing. client mode is made so
> an AP can act like a client of another AP. So no, an AP in client mode
> can't talk adhoc. You may want to build up a mini-itx board or a soekris
> board or use an airport running airport linux or get an ap which can run
> opensource.instant802.com or get a linksys wet11 or buffalo ethernet
> converter to get adhoc on the roof.
>
> Drew
>
> Fenn Bailey wrote:
> >Hey All,
> >
> >Apologies if this has been asked 92837493287 times but can the DLink
> >900AP (not +) act as a standard client?
> >
> >Eg: Enterasys card in IBBS "ad-hoc" client mode talking directly to a
> >DLink 900AP in the same mode.
> >
> >Thank you all,
> >
> >	Fenn.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?