[MLB-WIRELESS] help with hardware recommendations.

Carl Johnston cjohnston at biziworks.com.au
Wed Jan 8 10:21:42 EST 2003

Paul,

Is the following restriction because you're using mini-itx boards?  Have
you looked into riser cards with multiple PCI slots - or is this because
you have a really-really little case?

> In addition, one machine will be a wired firewall (1 wireless + 2 wired
> ethernet connections). As it only has one PCI slot, I figure there are 3
> possible solutions.
>
> 1) double PCI-PCMCIA bridge (eg. the Carry ones) + wireless PC card + ethernet
> PC card (recommendations???)
> 2) USB ethernet card + PCI wireless
> 3) USB wireless card + PCI ethernet.

You _may_ be able to fit two rack-based (1/2U) power supplies on top of
each other in a standard case.  Perhaps two 1U power supplies in a 2U
case?.. I've never seen anything like what you've described though.

> Another thing people might be able to help with is multi mainboard power
> supplies. Eg. a power supply that has multiple board connections to power
> several (2+) boards at once.  can be standalone, PC mounted or rack mounted,
> all options viable...  anyone know if this type of equipment exists?

Oh, BTW - does swinburne deal directly with Cisco?  - You've probably thought
about this already but they're probably the people to ask for wireless hardware :)

Cheers,

Carl