[MLB-WIRELESS]Wireless experiments-Melb WISP

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 6 14:02:43 EST 2003

this is an interesting point...  if they own the OPE then that gives them some
significant advantages with using omnis, surely.

I can imagine the following setup.

allow the OPE (on premises equipment) to communicate not just with the ISP AP,
but with other users omnis.  throttle the bandwidth on the wifi link to say
500kbps and use the rest of the bandwidth for other users routed traffic.
extend your access to the AP enourmously and lowers the required power for a
given bw as more users come online - self limiting ultimately, but initially
very good.

OTOH, that looks like an open adhoc wireless network, esp. if backbone access
is by ipsec and you don't want to fuss with WEP key rotation, etc.(which
would be trivially easy if you own the OPE, BTW)  so alt. would be to only
accept traffic for bridging from authorised customers, eg. like key dist
problem only now it is a MAC address DB, not a single public key.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?