[MLB-WIRELESS] Eastern region temporary mailing list

David Ng nudge at d2.net.au
Sun Jan 5 14:36:10 EST 2003

Cameron McCormack:
> Oh yes... anything to get me (BEF) connected to someone else would be
> nice. ^^  At the moment I can't see anyone directly. :/
>
> I had some grand plan of wanting to connect to a friend who is down in
> the Blackburn / Waverley / Springvale / freeway block.  There seems to
> be quite a few close nodes down there.  If there was a node on the crest
> of the hill on Blackburn Rd, maybe that could see node BFF.

I am in the Blackburn / Waverley / Springvale / freeway block.  I am node
FKY.  Unfotunately I cannot see you, because of the aforementioned crests on
Blackburn Rd.  I can see clearly to the east of me though, about 2-3Km, up
the police academy.
Check out the first image (facing east from my place):
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?NodeFKY

If i purchased an omni, and put it as high up as i can, i just *might* be
able to get a
link to nodes BFF/GAH/BGA, and to many sites to the east of me.
Can you see pinewood shops/united energy Cameron?  If someone were to put an
AP/repeater up there, that could be the link we need.  I dont think I can
see pinewood
from my place, but nodes BFF/GAH might be able to.

Question: If i were to purchase an omni, what strength antennas would be
needed on
either end to create a link between me and say node FVJ? FVJ is 98deg east
of me,
2.6Km away.  Would node FVJ require some sort of strong directional antenna?

Thanks,
nudge.