[MLB-WIRELESS] 2.4GHz through obstructions (WAS: Colorbond/roof insulation interference.)

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Tue Feb 18 13:26:19 EST 2003

<snip>
> My research from about 8 months ago dug up a little table (included
> below), which isn't very specific. I was looking at pushing signals
> through things like roof-tops, or corners of buildings at the
> time, and
> compiled the list from googling many sites. Personally, I
> wouldn't rely
> on it entirely, but it's been decent enough to make eye-ball
> judgements
> IMHO (I try to obtain an SOM of > 18 dB).
<snip>

Judging from the e-mails I've received, I think I should clarify:

1. "Eye-Ball judgements" means pretty much the same as a "guestimate".
It's not accurate. Never will be accurate. Stop telling me my numbers
aren't accurate. I know they're not. I said they're not!

2. The numbers have personally served me pretty well, although I expect
a large (say, around 6dB) variation, at least. I don't really use the
numbers for anything other than judging whether a link is worthwhile
trying or not, and most definitely not for EIRP calculations.

3. If you interpreted my little table as some sort of magic number list,
you're dead wrong. I didn't intend to create such a thing.

 - Simon