[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Internet Sharing

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sun Feb 16 13:06:10 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 12:33, grenville armitage wrote:
[...]
> In a world where digitally signed documents are starting to be
> considered equivalent to "paper" documents I wouldn't be so sure.

this is a different thing altogether. There is quite a difference
between making a digitally signed document 'legal' and making
technically documented capabilities a guarantee of meeting those
capabilities.

All you need is a document saying "we promise nothing", and it doesn't
matter if you can actually provide 1Gbps with zero down time during a
nuclear war... you have promised nothing.

The one exception to this is when you have a document saying "we promise
nothing" in the small print, then sell it to them as if you were
actually promising something. They lawyers will then question the
legality of your "we promise nothing" document.

> In any case, at some point any IP QoS scheme relies on a documented
> statement of how the protocol operates and what the users would expect
> given certain protocol actions. The 'technical means' of achieving the
> QoS request would simply be acting out a documented set of behaviors.
> I could see a particularly narrow minded lawyer/govt-hack trying
> it on...

Ahh, a world where technical capability defined the extent of legal
rights and obligations.... <wistful sigh>...

:-)

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key