[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Internet Sharing

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sun Feb 16 11:11:26 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 10:44, Jon Teh wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 05:04:43PM +1030, Jamie Lovick wrote:
[...]
> * Non-Commercial use of wireless technologies - Internet access and
> other data applications OK. Not limited to hotspot setup. According
> to the ACA, 'commmercial' is seen as an arrangement that fulfills
> any of the following criteria:
>
> 		+ Assosciated with an entity which is a business/has
> 		  an ABN.
> 		+ Provides a guarantee/contract of Service Level.
> 		+ Involves the exchange of money for a profit.

APANA got an explicit, in writing, exemption from joining the TIO on the
basis that we were "non-commercial" and not selling internet access to
the public, just sharing internet access between members. I believe the
fact that we offer no guarantee of service level was a contributing
factor, and we had a T&C's document that stated that.

However, APANA is large enough that it has an ABN, and the cost sharing
means APANA does charge members for internet access and membership
(note... not charging for proffit).

I think the explicit exemption APANA has clarifies its "non-comercial"
status. When/if I finally get minkirri (node FRZ) online I'm thinking of
offering wireless net access to APANA members. APANA Melbourne already
has the infrastructure in place to volume-charge sites/nodes, regardless
of how they connect. It would be just another way sites could connect to
APANA, and a fun experiment.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key