[MLB-WIRELESS] Interesting death...

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Tue Feb 11 21:54:40 EST 2003

Hey All,

An interesting thing happened to me recently (that's an opening sentence to
get people scared). Anyway, I have a wireless network setup between my
loungeroom machine and internet gateway (for internet/mp3/etc).

Recently, it started getting unreliable - eg: connection dropping out, etc.
Checked the card/drivers/etc the lot and couldn't work out what was going
on.

Though not much of it, except that it started to get worse and worse until
there was essentially no connectivity - it was as if the card just stopped
working.

Started re-installing drivers, etc - I'd recently installed an SCSI card, so
removed that.

Eventually worked out that I was an idiot, and that it was actualy the
lucent RG-1000 gateway I had that had died.

All the lights were on/etc, but no connectivity.

I opened it up (knowing it was just a standard card inside), and the card
appeared to be correctly installed in the socket (though if you ever drop
one of these, I wouldn't be surprised if it could come loose).

Powered it up and it all _looked_ ok, but didn't work. The problem was, I
didn't have any orinoco silver cards handy to replace it with, so I just
popped in an Enterasys.

To my surprise, it worked fine AND fixed my problem.

I put the original Orinoco Silver out of it into a PC and it really appears
to be dead. Detects fine, the lights flash, everything works OK, but
absolutely 0 signal (not just very very low - NOTHING).

I put my RG-1000 back together and am generally happy now, except that I'm 1
wireless card down.

Can anyone think of a problem like that described above, that would cause a
card to get worse and worse until it didn't work at all.

I've taken the card apart (some), but can't see anything physically wrong
with it.

I'm at a loss (thankfully, I didn't pay for the AP).

	Fenn.