[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwireless users to pay for Sneeze's e-mail flames?

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Wed Feb 5 02:09:23 EST 2003

At 09:58 PM 4/02/2003, you wrote:
>No, not quite. But this announcement casts community-based helpdesks such as
>Melbourne Wireless in a very good light.
>- Barry

we help ? i never agreed to that ...
i must have missed that meeting.

This is a riotously funny article.

I can't speak highly of telstra, because while this article was being
published, i was working in the field of said discussion. while it is not
unilaterally true, bigpond support is simply one step above asking a 12
year old Fijian to configure your internet connection. To make the
situation more plain, the 12 year old Fijian would probably fix the problem
sooner having never used a PC or read any  English before. most ISP's
contrive to "assist" the customer, the same could not be said for most of
the many arms of bigpond support.

Firstly, Telstra has so many sub-departments, divisions, managers and so
many of those are outsourced divisions, offering premium support on a
premium-enriched service like bigpond is skimming from both ends. as a
helpdesk employee, i can tell you that without any doubt, priority queues
are handled by the same people that handle all the other calls. if this
service were to be implemented, you would get exactly the same level of
free support you would get from a regular (non-bigpond) ISP, where they
call back and "assist" with a problem... without you having to pay for the
premium of being called back the same day/ hour. you would not be informed
of outages any sooner, or get any elevated privileges, bar the escalated
calls and trained monkeys asking to click the start button on a mac... or
asking you to turn the ADSL modem off and on after an authentication outage.

Telstra's great strategy has always been the "premium" approach, where the
symbolic link between premium price and quality is their promise (lure).
when the customer finally finds the service is a facade that is outdated,
unhelpful and slow to respond to changes, they leave. and they don't come
back. Knowing how eccentric people are about their internet carrier
preferences, it is inevitable that they "will" implement premium support,
those "armless managers" will be creating the outsourcing contract this
week.... and that there would be no tangible difference to any regular
non-bigpond ISP helpdesk for the tariffs.  this will just be telstra
evolving to the standards of service that the industry has adopted for a
long while.

There are a few exceptions to the article, IT support is the single
greatest cost "without return" of an ISP business expenditure ... like
buying stationery, coffee and tea, secretaries, drugs, hotels and cars for
managers, etc. the actual hardware and network peering through other ISP's
is for most ISP's the greatest single cost. Of course, if you don't own the
extensive network and bandwidth, and have simply been pimping government
owned infrastructure, the costs are reduced.

"As a sidenote, we also asked Justin a question which he chose not to
answer: These changes seem to be focused on customer retention once they go
off contract. Will there also be some improvements in plan value for
customers currently on contract, or already off contract? "