[MLB-WIRELESS] instant speed increase, mtu sizes

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Sun Feb 2 22:02:51 EST 2003

<snip>
> On my two linux machines, I was able to set the MTU to 2294.
> this instantly increased the trougput from ~600KB/s to
> ~750KB/s The link itself isn't that great, but sufficient:
> Link Quality:21/92  Signal level:-76 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
>
> Not spectacular, yet a very nice thing for five seconds of work.
<snip>

Nice! :)

Don't forget that setting the MTU higher isn't for everyone. It's only
really handy if you can control everything on the network (or both hosts
in the p2p link), otherwise you can really make a mess of things with
cheaper equipment that's less tolerant of high frame sizes.

Don't forget too, that some applications (such as those involving
streaming media) can become erratic using larger frame sizes, due to the
larger potential for burst drops, jittering, etc. When you have a larger
frame that gets corrupted over the air, it means more data needs to be
sent again, which means a longer reception delay and ultimately a lower
throughput.

I'm not saying don't change the MTU size, but rather that the MTU is
tweakable for a reason - not just to make it larger :) If your link is
not error prone, then increasing the MTU size could be a good way to
squeeze in a bit more data.

Cheers,

 - Simon