[MLB-WIRELESS] Bulletin Boards

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Dec 18 14:05:38 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:17:39AM -0500, Giles Pollock wrote:

> This box is still really a work in progress that ill put on wireless when i
> actually link somewhere... its hosted on dialup on a machine that has a habit
> of locking up when knocked hard enough so dont be suprised if its down or
> slow :P... also, the BBS software hasnt been configured in any way, so if
> anyone has some ansi/ascii art theyd like put up, or wants to help me make
> some new or better menus, feel free to contact me on IRC (Austnet chat
> network in #melb-wireless)

if the hardware's flaky, you could probably set this up to run under dosemu on
linux.   configure inetd or whatever so that telnetting to a certain port
spawned a new copy the bbs.  even an old pentium (with lots of RAM and a fast
modern disk) should be able to run several sessions of dosemu + bbs + door
games.

> Take a look at telnet://NamelessBBS.gotdns.org:61000

err, actually, it looks like you're running some kind of Windows BBS rather
than an MS-DOS BBS.  wouldn't run under dosemu.  probably not under wine
either.

i didn't know they made any windows BBS, last time i had anything to do with
BBS, it was all MS-DOS + Deskview, or OS/2 running DOS-boxes.

i think at the end, before i switched to a uucp feed from APANA, i was running
OS/2 & binkleyterm & maximus bbs & other stuff.  i switched to linux in 92 or
93 because uucp worked properly in unix but didn't work properly in dos,
windows, or os/2 (none of them had any real concept of multiple users, whether
simultaneous or not)....linux also let me run a long cable off the serial port
and have a wyse-50 terminal in the lounge room (two computers for the price of
one!! :)

> (I meant to put in a word that meant looking back happily on past memories,
> but i forgot what it was)

"nostalgia".

can't say i miss those days at all.  the 'net is what i always wanted bulletin
boards (& Fidonet etc) to be.  even uucp mail & news was a vast improvement
over fido-style echoes and local message boards.

craig