[MLB-WIRELESS] back to basics

Rob Clark clark at FreeNet-Antennas.com
Mon Dec 15 16:11:22 EST 2003

Peter,

You will not find any tutorials on what you need in the wireless
forums......as your questions (while common) are really a separate
topic.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Think of the wireless link (once established) as a dumb piece of
cable. It will pass any network traffic. I assume your experimentation
has got you familiar with the concept and practice of getting two WiFi
boxes to talk to each other.

2) Now...search the Internet for TCP/IP tutorials....leave the word
wireless out of the search. There should be lots of them - written for
all levels of knowledge.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Rob Clark

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
[mailto:owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au] On Behalf Of Datec-Optus
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 8:44 PM
To: 'melbwireless'
Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] back to basics

Ok.... first of all thanx to all who have answered my many questions
over the past months.

Now... I think I need to get back to basics with my wireless set-up.
I've played around with different antennae, cards and a Dlink DWL 900AP.
I've chopped and changed my wired and unwired network to the point that
nothing works really well anymore. The more I learn the more I'm
confused. I've attempted to set this up to share a wireless connection
before I've gotten it to work properly for even me.

Everything I've done so far has been piece meal, when I first added the
AP and turned it on it worked (to a point) I didn't worry about
protocols, the default out of the box settings got my Lappy talking to
my main Computer in my home office and that's the way it stayed.

What I think I need is a tutorial on the very basics of setting up a
wireless network and how to integrate this into a small wired LAN. IS
THERE SUCH AN ANIMAL. One that discusses IP Addressing, routing,
software, (you know just the basics, wink wink) I'm not an Network
Engineers spotty freckle, but I'm expected to be one when adding new
bits.

My set-up consists of:
Wired Network
1xWin2k on an Athlon1800+
2xWin98se on pent1-2's
Surecom 8port hub
DWL 900AP
Sygate Home Networking for internet sharing
Wireless
1xwin98se on 486 Lappy
Skynet Global Roamabout  Card

And it doesn't work as a network very well at all at the moment.

As you can see all very low tech and I'm sorry not very Linux (I do have
a couple of spare systems, one  I was gonna press into service as a
Linux firewall) (more things I know nothin about)

Now the real Question
Has or Does or Can, Melbwireless plan a tutorial (or series of) which
covers things like IP Addressing, routing, topography, Software etc etc
etc. All neatly in one place.

I know its easy to ask one of MW modest experts for help, but sometimes
I don't even know what the question is.

Any thoughts on the mater guy's

Again thanks

Peter (Rabbit)