[MLB-WIRELESS] RMIT City Campus Wireless Trials

Gabrielle Harrison & Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 10 14:58:51 EST 2003

Swinburnes (Hawthorn) access is not encrypted... and they have no
hassles... :-)  because they use a secure network regime [1] for their
whole network that requires all users to authenticate prior to having
access.  Just like anyone running any corporate network should do.

[1] one can argue if cisco VPN and Novel are secure network regimes...

At 12:39  10/12/2003 +1100, you wrote:
>FYI, RMIT's City Campus are now testing a wireless service for
>students and staff from buildings on Elizabeth and Swanston Streets.
>
>The idea is for anyone with a student and staff ID number will find
>access to the trial almost as easy as using a mobile phone.
>
>Last time I knew of someone in the vicinity, well before the official
>trials were to take place, access was not encrypted!
>
>-ag.
>

>Andrew Garton

   ########## Paul van den Bergen
####  #    # Glen Waverley VIC 3150 Australia
   #   ###### gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
   #   #      ph/fax. +613 9886 3160
   #####