[MLB-WIRELESS] New RG stuff in the Wiki

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Mon Dec 8 10:39:22 EST 2003

Dan Flett <conhoolio at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Those who know more about Locfinder's innards and the map data will be
able
> to say what the contour interval is, I'm just playing with the interface.

5m IIRC.

...snip
> Does anyone know enough about java or cgi scripting to make a nice front
end
> to LocFinder's map system so we can play with these options and layers a
bit
> more?  I'm not sure if I know all the layer and map options that exist for
> it either.

LocFinder is essentially a heavily customised frontend to MapServer:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

The layers are defined in the .map files, here are some you might recognise:

coastl
ocean
rivers
state lines
contours
roads
trainlines
area_boundary_1
area_boundary_2
area_boundary_3
area_boundary_4
area_boundary_5
area_boundary_6
area_boundary_7
area_boundary_8
area_boundary_9
area_boundary_10
area_boundary_11
area_boundary_12
area_boundary_13
area_boundary_14
area_boundary_15
area_nodes_1
area_nodes_2
area_nodes_3
area_nodes_4
area_nodes_5
area_nodes_6
area_nodes_7
area_nodes_8
area_nodes_9
area_nodes_10
area_nodes_11
area_links_1
area_links_2
area_links_3
area_links_4
area_links_5
area_links_6
area_links_7
area_links_8
area_links_9
area_links_10
area_links_11
interested
gathering
building
testing
operational
links
Rather than attempting to write a java/JavaScript frontend for this, why not
join the LocFinder development team?  Then your contributions get put where
they count - into LocFinder itself, rather than as a hodge-podge of
additions on your own site.  Contact our illustrious treasurer (James Healy)
who happens to be the lead developer for LocFinder...
http://m.wireless.org.au/users/?yob

...or check the project webpage on Savannah:
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/locfinder/

Cheers,
Tyson.