[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: Software AP]

Jamie Moir jmoir at jmcs.net.au
Sun Dec 7 20:28:49 EST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Steven Haigh wrote:

> Hi, I'm interested in setting up a software AP using linux.

Ahuh.

> Unfortunatley I can't fubd any supported .11g PCI cards as inidicated at

Yes, its tough, more in a second. HostAP support is available for prism
2.5 cards, but I havent heard about it for prismGT based cards. Where is
info on that?

> The only card I can find in Australia is the 3com OfficeConnect 11g
> Wireless LAN PC Card, and I would require a PCI PC-Card slot for that.

The netgear one is also available, WG511, and I can supply OEM XG-600s(?)
in MiniPCI as well. Might be able to turn up the SMC cards in a few days,
although the one disty I know of that does SMC doesnt show them as being
available as yet.

> Do you know of any other .11g cards which would suit my needs, or could
> you post this question somewhere where it can be seen?

Pick on me c/o www.techtopia.com.au if you cant find something you are
chasing, I can always find stuff.

As more of a general note on prismGT, these are a bitch to find in .tw, a
few OEMs dropped plans for these in favour of broadcom, or the new TI G
chipset (ugh), pcrange will have cheap broadcom based gear soon, and that
will make it hard to bother bringing in anything else.

Cya,

Jamie