[MLB-WIRELESS] Help for Linux newbie

Weeties tymmo at adsl.on.net
Wed Aug 20 18:59:58 EST 2003

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is really baneful for most of you.

This has been an ongoing project to link 3 houses in my street.
What I'd like to know is: Can anyone point me to a link to download the
Linux driver/kernel for an orinoco_cs card for Mandrake (If that matters?),
and a brief on how to install it?

At the moment, the card works in the Linux box and can connect thru 98
running ICS to a server.
But I can't replace the 98 box with the Linux because the only card
configured is the
10/100 i.e. the wireless card works by magic. The wireless card is loaded by
default as an Orinoco_cs,
Vendor:Intersil Prism2. I know there's more I have to do (from the mail
list) but can't remember where I saw it. Something to do with /etc/something
When the card is in my XPpro it is seen as a Cabletron 40 bit WEP, Primary
Firmware
Var1 Vers4, Station Firmware Var2 Vers8.10

I installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday on a 300Mhz, 1.2G system. It is big
enough and it runs and will be sitting in my roof. This is my second attempt
at running linux and this time a lot more successful. Although I know stuff
all about Linux, the graphic interface is friendly and I know my way around
PCs and (to some degree) networks.
I could use XP, but that's worth 300 times the computer and I need another 3
copies!  (to get the updates) Win98 worked OK on 1 sys, but I've been unable
to link 2 98's together, and even the one that works, the client says it's
not!
(driver/firmware/client or something) I own XPpro, ME, 98 and 95 but I'd
rather use Linux 'cause that's all you guys talk about...stability,
security, etc, etc, and it's freeware? I could buy some cheap AP's but
what's the fun in that.

I have googled but I just got lost in the Lintrex. There is a lot out there
but I
don't know which is what and who was where and why I asked the question in
the first place.Then realised I's already supposed to know, huh?

The plan is to link these 3 to get interest and for fun, then maybe more,
and ultimately join
the mesh up the track. The terrain here is the limiting issue, though, so,
the more locals the better. I'm in a depression (in more ways than one, this
has
taken many months to end up at the same spot, just with another operating
system)

Any help is OK: lawnmowing, ironing, how to clean up after myself,
dishwashing
budget keeping, finding free beer/money (same currency, yes?), head therapy,
no etc!

Thanks and Cheers
Tim