[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Idea - Security by amplitude recognition

vak at alphalink.com.au vak at alphalink.com.au
Thu Aug 14 11:11:07 EST 2003

(James Gardiner, i don't have your email address to cross post this to you)

It's a nice idea, but won't work.

(This includes Point to point links)

Reason being: Signal fluctuates naturally whether it be through physical
obstruction or through the varying of an AGC (automatic gain control).
People don't stand still, the dielectric constant of things such as walls,
etc doesn't stay the same (temperature dependant), birds fly through signal
beams, multipath fading (planes) etc etc etc.

Even if you allow for a margin, there may be times when your signal will
drop out (ie. interference).

Anyway, even if you locked it down to the slowest possible transmission
speed, you'd get leakage occuring past your client machine (as you know a
certain S/N ratio is required - you can't have high data rates without a
S/N greater than 5 or 10 etc). Eg: You have AP talking to Client 1, if
client 2 is sitting past client 1, they'd still see the signal (just use a
medium/high gain antenna).

Also you'd want to consider what would happen if you had a 2nd client at a
different distance to the 1st - the radio can't just simply drop off
communications to client 1 because it wants to speak to client 2
exclusively.

Nice idea, but i can't see it working.

If you're really paranoid about signal interception, use either laser comms
(although you might be able to pickup some scattering) or run optic fiber
in clear conduit (to be able to see if it's been tampered with). Oh and of
course, use encryption.

Regards,

Vaskos