[MLB-WIRELESS] USB GPS receivers - Any good?

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Tue Aug 12 11:03:56 EST 2003

Gary Winder <winder at iinet.net.au> asked:
> I have zero experience with connecting a GPS to a laptop. Has anyone
> tried the cheap USB units? Are they compatible with Netstumbler? Or
> am I better using a standalone unit with a data cable to the PC?

Ryan Abbenhuys <sneeze at alphalink.com.au> replied with the following
gibberish:
> Ask Mr President.
>
> He's got a USB GPS unit from Rojone(?)
>
> Works fine with NetStumbler.  In fact we used it on the "Great War-Drive
of
> '69" which you may heard about.

Indeed, I have one of the Genius USB GPS units from Rojone.  It works well
in M$ Windows once you have the drivers installed (very easy), txrx reports
that it works in Linux too though I haven't played much.  It presents itself
as an extra serial port which simply spits out the standard NMEA sentences
which are easily interpreted by NetStumbler and other software without any
hassle.

My only issue is that it has no antenna jack, hence must be mounted in a
reasonable location to receive signal from satellites.  I have it sitting in
the middle of the parcel chelf of my car hard up against the back window,
where it works pretty well - the 3m long USB lead and mag-mount base make
things easy enough.  You can get similar items that include an antenna jack,
which might be better suited to your application.

On the subject of antennae and cars, anyone interested in a bulk buy of the
following 2.5dBi 2.4GHz panel mount vehicle antenna?
http://www.benelec.com.au/ISM_Products/029324.htm
If so, send me an email and if there is enough interest I'll organise
something on The Incredible Bulk.  I wish to install one of these on node
DCG in the not too distant future...  ;)

Cheers,
Tyson.