[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: One for the MUA experts.

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 9 02:22:44 EST 2003

Excuse the off-topic post, but with the number of people on this list, and the technical experiance - especially with email, I figure this is the perfect place to ask this...

I'm looking for a new mail client... I'm currently using Outlook Express, and found it to work well, however I require a few other features that OE does not include...

What I'm looking for is a MUA with:

1) IMAP support. Outlook Express handles IMAP folders with 14000+ emails without a problem. Outlook XP becomes really sluggish on these folders. it seems the reasonable limit for Outlook XP is about 500 messages in a folder, anything else and I click "Mark as read" and come back in a few minutes... Mozilla handles this fine, however lacks other points discussed here.

2) Have decent digital certificate support. As most of you know, wireless.org.au has it's own root cert, and I issue .p12 certificates to people with a) a good reason for wanting one, and b) who I can verify is fair dinkum. OE works fine with this, even with multiple accounts. Mozilla allows you to sign an email with an incorrect cert, and does not prompt the user.

3) Have a Calendar builtin. OE does not have this, nor does Mozilla.

4) Have a todo list builtin. Again, something that OE and Mozilla lack.

5) A decent address book system. Something comparable with OE's addressbook is fine.

I know Outlook has items 3, 4 and 5, but the very sluggish performance in IMAP handling rules it out (unless someone knows something about fixing Outlook XP with IMAP folders)...

Ideas? Suggestions? Please email me off list.

Thanks in advance.

Signed,
Steven Haigh
http://wireless.org.au
(Visit https://wireless.org.au to install our Root Certificate.)

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.