[MLB-WIRELESS] Interesting project in the planning, comments??

Michael Carey mcarey4 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 1 08:06:40 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,
For those who don't know, I'm in Port Lincoln, SA.
I have been placed in a Wireless Networking fanatics dream!!
The company I work for was lucky enough to obtain ownership of the local
Austar MMDS broadcasting facility due to them wanting out of their 5 year
contract to
occupy our communications facility.
While Austar removed almost all the equipment from the building, they left
behind many things including about 18x19" racks, a 30 KVa 3-phase UPS, 85
KVa Genset and the best for last, the MMDS antenna, feed cables and transmit
multiplexer.
I have a plan forming in my head of putting an Access Point in a box at the
top of the tower, connected to the MMDS antenna.
The antenna is a RFS, covering 2076-2400 Mhz. The bandwidth charts left
behind show the antennas bandwidth rolls further than these limits, so
hopefully will work with WiFi frequencies.
The input is a 7/8" EIA flange and luckily I have a 7/8" to 'N' adapter in
my possesion.
My boss is happy for me to mess with this, I already have an AP and PC in
the old Austar building operating at the moment.
You can see the tower on this page.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~michaelcarey/wireless.html
I need to find some super-industrial-grade Cat5 cable to run down from the
AP into the building. I think standard stuff will fall apart after exposure
to UV. And conduit isn't an option over a long vertical distance, the cable
can't support itself over the length of the tower.
What do you think of this idea??  I don't know if it has been done before, I
suspect not.
Things probably won't happen for a few more months yet, gonna take the
laptop to the top and do some ad-hoc tests first.
Regards,
Michael.
P.S. Can anyone out there get me a good price on a Cisco 350 Series Access
Point, the rugged, external antenna version. Might as well go the whole
hog.....