[MLB-WIRELESS] SVEC FD1811 (aka WLAP) Firmware

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Apr 30 12:19:46 EST 2003

I had a bit of a play with these (with Jamie's assistance) and basically ran
into exactly the same problem.

You can see a bit of a summary here:
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?SVECWLAP

By the looks of it, your findings should be added to this.

One of the major issues is that they don't _appear_ to implement standard
TFTP - it looks like a slightly whacky variant, which doesn't speak well for
it fully implementing TFTP (eg: GET as well as PUT).

The main hurdle is finding a working copy of the firmware. I don't know if
you found the same thing, but the ethernet port appears to completely die
when you flash them with Linksys firmware, which makes further TFTP flashing
somewhat difficult. However, the linksys USB client appears to flash it
fine.

The best bet that I can think of is reverse-engineering the USB interface to
it (I imagine it would be quite simple) and seeing if you can read the
firmware out this way. I have had success doing this sort of thing with DSL
modems in the past (albeit via serial ports), but the principle is much the
same.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to fiddle with this at the moment, but
if anyone knows of good USB sniffing software, or a good way to do this - it
would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

    Fenn.