[MLB-WIRELESS] Dlink 900+ power hack

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 30 01:14:01 EST 2003

It wouldn't suprise me.  The chances are the adjustable
output output power was never meant to be a user feature,
but a debugging feature.

My suspicion is the chip designers would have used their
simulations to make an educated guess at the maximum output
power of the chip, then designed it to be adjustable about
this point. When they got their chips back from fabrication,
they probably connected the output to a spectrum analyser,
wound the power up to the point where distortion was
acceptable and annouced that point to be the maximum
output power of the chip.

Consequently the first batch of chips are probably already
running at their maximum possible output power.  If my theory
is correct, as process improvements are made in later batches
of chips more power may become available.

John