[MLB-WIRELESS] debian q

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Apr 29 10:23:59 EST 2003

> ok with dhcp you can assign ip addresses to mac addresses right?
>

> ie f45a4aa62 = 10.10.12.1

Yes, dhcpd supports this (did it to the boss's kids so we could filter them
off the network if they started playing with Kazaa, etc :) ).

> what if you have 5 comps on teh network and then to stop
> peopel comeing on
> could you do
>

> aaaaaaaa = 10.10.12.7-255

Hmm, I suspect all you need to do is not to define a dynamic IP scope.  Use
man dhcpd.conf for more details. :-)

> can you force that if you dont have X mac address you cant get X ip?>

That's the idea of static mappings - the IP is assigned to the specific MAC
address.