[MLB-WIRELESS] ga-586atv motherboard

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 23 13:25:11 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 10:50, Lincoln Smith wrote:

> I have an old Gigabyte (586-atv) motherboard that has gone to sleep
> and won't wake up.  My sister (whose computer it is) said it went into
> power saving mode but now it won't wake up.  It doesn't even boot.
> Fans start spinning, Power and Turbo LEDs come on but nothing
> happens.  This happened once before and it booted after a couple of
> tries but no joy this time.

I encountered this kind of behaviour on one of my boxes, and I had
pulled it all apart and was prepared to declare it dead, when I
discovered that the reset button on that particular case was a toggle
switch, not a momentary switch! The board was being held in reset.

> Anyone have any ideas? (i tested all the other components and they are fine...mebe the mobo needs replacing?)

Are you sure about the PSU? things like drives not spinning up could
indicate a dead 12V rail. Check all the voltages coming out of the PSU
using a meter.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/