[MLB-WIRELESS] my antenna install pics

David Ng nudge at d2.net.au
Mon Apr 21 19:24:08 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Samuel" <chris at csamuel.org>
> There are rumours that Telstra are (slowly) rolling out ADSL enabling
> equipment for RIM's in some places (mentioned both on Whirlpool & The
> Australian IT section last year).
>
> When it will ever be publically announced (if it is really going ahead) is
> another matter. :-(

The technology is currently being trialled somewhere in Canberra.

But who knows if, and when, my RIM will get upgraded.
Telstra say they'll be upgrading the RIMs with most demand first...but I
haven't seen a way that they can measure this yet.
Also, there would be a huge line of telstra techies who are also being
shafted by RIMs, and they'll put a request to get thiers upgraded first.
Plus, the ADSL CMUX units that are deployed into a RIM cabinet can only
service a fraction of the total lines in the RIM (say 24 ADSL lines out of
200 or so), so you've really gotta be first in line to get it.
I've also read that a single RIM cabinet can service at most 480 lines (when
the cabinet is choc-full of POTS cards), and in my estate, there are around
300 homes.  So there leaves very little space in the RIM cabinet for ADSL
CMUX equipment.  Unless telstra deploy another cabinet...which I won't think
they'll do.

So yeah, shafted.

Regards,
David.