[MLB-WIRELESS] DLINK 900AP?

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Fri Apr 4 15:56:45 EST 2003

> but there is one operational node really close that i think i
> can get LOS to.
>
> He told me the MAC address.
>
> I am i able to detect connection through this ap?

Well, detect probably in'st the right phrase, but you could (maybe) get
a connection. However, you'll need to know more than the MAC address and
it will be kinda difficult.

If the node nearby is running in BSS mode (AP mode), then you can set
the DLink to be an AP-Client, which will associate and connect
(hopefully). Set your 900AP to associate with 'any' SSID, point the
antenna and hope.

The main problem is: the 900ap doesn't have (afaik) any way of telling
whether you're connect/signal levels/etc. So it's going to be tough.

> like can i tell if there is a connection and who it is with?

You're much better off grabbing a laptop + netstumbler, getting your
antenna setup, aligned and a link happening. Then configuring the AP to
match the laptop settings and swapping it over.

> (yes i know these are stupid questions)

Not at all, they've very valid (and good on you for getting up and about
and getting things happening).

	Fenn.