[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar power modelling

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Apr 3 14:16:22 EST 2003

> Of course, presuming dlink overstated their power
> consumption, ya can scale
> those costs back...  Anyone hung a multimeter off an AP to see what it
> actually uses?

Well, given the huge costs involved, I feel we should start measuring
current draw on APs.  A lot of devices powered by "wall warts" tend to have
the total power drawn by the transformer marked on then, which is
considerably higher (due to copper and core losses) than that which is
actually used by the device in question.  If there's DC voltage and current
ratings on the AP, you're getting closer...

e.g. 12V, 200mA corresponds to a power consumption of 2.4W (compare that to
10W :) ).

You could shave a bit more off again, if the AP uses internal voltage
regulators and you know how to build a switchmode regulator to replace the
linear one that is usually built in.  That may save 10-50% of the current
draw again, which is significant if you're trying to run the thing off solar
power. :)

Where there's a will, there's a way...  :-)